Connect with us

NEWS

Anambra Introduces New Burial Law, Bans Cows And Goats As Condolence Gifts.

Published

on

The Anambra State Government has introduced a new burial law banning midweek burials and the presentation of cows, goats and other expensive items as condolence gifts.

The law, enacted by the Anambra State House of Assembly, was made public this Monday as part of efforts to regulate burial and funeral activities across the state.

According to the law, all burial ceremonies are now restricted to Saturdays, while wake-keep ceremonies and the display of banners, posters and billboards of deceased persons have also been prohibited.

The government says the new regulations are aimed at reducing extravagant spending, easing financial pressure on bereaved families and improving economic productivity in the state.

The law also provides penalties for violators, including fines and imprisonment, while monitoring committees will be established in communities to ensure compliance.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

I withdrew, never participated in APC primary, says Cubana Chief Priest

Published

on

By

Celebrity businessman Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has denied taking part in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat.

In a series of Instagram story posts on Sunday, Okechukwu stated that he voluntarily withdrew from the race after Governor Hope Uzodimma briefed him on the party’s zoning position.

According to Okechukwu, the governor explained that Orlu Local Government Area should complete at least two terms before the seat rotates to another area. He noted that his elder brother, Asiwaju Jerry Alagboso, had previously represented the constituency for three terms.

“He made the argument that it was not the turn of my Local Government Area to occupy the seat at this time,” Okechukwu wrote.

The businessman, who described himself as “a loyal party man and committed progressive,” said his decision to step down was made in full respect for the party’s leadership and internal arrangements. He added that the party’s position was communicated to him in the early hours of Saturday, before the primary took place, prompting him to stay away entirely.

“I chose not to proceed to the field, and indeed, I never did. Nobody will say they saw me anywhere around the primaries venue. In fact I did not participate. As I headed straight back to Lagos,” he stated.

Okechukwu’s latest position contradicts an earlier video that surfaced after the primary, in which he expressed regret over “trusting the elders in the community” and claimed that only 14 people voted for him.

He was seeking the APC ticket ahead of the 2027 general elections but lost to the incumbent lawmaker, Canice Nwachukwu.

The socialite explained that his initial aspiration stemmed from concerns about the performance of the current representative. “My decision and resolve to aspire for the office was born out of my conviction that the current holder of the office was not living up to the expectations and aspirations of our people,” he said.

Okechukwu dismissed widespread social media commentary on the matter as “coordinated mischief” and “laughable” attempts to use his name for online propaganda. He firmly denied owing any financial debts to supporters, stressing that the aspiration was entirely his personal conviction.

“I am not indebted to anybody over my aspiration,” he declared, adding that he had “absolutely no regret whatsoever in raising the political stakes and consciousness” in the constituency.

His reported defeat had earlier attracted attention, including a public message of encouragement from Seyi Tinubu, son of President Bola Tinubu, who posted on Instagram: “Bro, sometimes by losing a battle, you find a new way to win the war.”

In his closing remarks, Okechukwu reaffirmed his commitment to the APC and pledged to continue mobilising support for President Tinubu’s re-election in 2027 through his City Boy Movement.

“The APC remains my party, today and always. I remain loyal and committed to the ideals and leadership of our great party,” he wrote.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Aspirant Declares for Obingwa West Assembly Seat, Says Community and Party Back His Ambition

Published

on

By

A chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Enyinnaya Appolos, has formally declared his intention to contest for the Obingwa West seat in the Abia State House of Assembly ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Appolos, who made the declaration after what he described as extensive consultations with community leaders, party stakeholders, and political actors across Obingwa West, said his decision to join the race followed the endorsement and support of his people and his party.

According to him, the consultation process began with members of his family and traditional leaders in his ancestral home, before extending to community stakeholders, elders, women, and youths within his constituency.

He also disclosed that he held meetings with PDP leaders and stakeholders in Mgboko Umuanunu Ward 3, as well as political leaders across party lines in the area, where discussions focused on the future of Obingwa West, effective representation, unity, and development.

The aspirant further revealed that he engaged critical stakeholders of the PDP in Obingwa West, including ward executives from the six wards in the constituency and Local Government party executives.

Appolos said many of those he consulted, including members of other political parties, expressed confidence in his ambition, with some reportedly pledging to support him based on his personality and vision rather than party affiliation.

He stated that, at present, he remains the sole aspirant within the party for the Obingwa West State Constituency position, noting that other interested contenders stepped down after he formally declared his intention.

Expressing gratitude for what he described as overwhelming encouragement and endorsement, Appolos pledged to provide purposeful and people-oriented representation if elected.

He said his ambition is driven by a desire to strengthen the voice of Obingwa West in governance, create opportunities for youths, empower women, support farmers and traders, and attract meaningful development to the constituency.

He called for unity and collective support as preparations begin for the 2027 elections.

Continue Reading

NEWS

Money laundering investigation: EFCC made me cry every morning – Pastor Jerry Eze

Published

on

By

The lead Pastor of Streams of Joy International and convener of the New Season Prophetic Prayers, NSPPD, Jerry Eze, has reacted to his investigation for money laundering by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.

Eze recalled how he cried every morning while driving to conduct his daily NSPPD prayers due to the investigation.

The Chairman of EFCC, Ola Olukayode, had disclosed that the anti-graft commission probed Eze for six months for money laundering.

Speaking in Abuja on Wednesday, the EFCC Czar noted that the pastor was found to have committed no crime, hence was let off the hook.

Reacting, Eze who noted how the investigation affected him, recounted putting Olukoyede’s name on the altar for prayers.

He said: “I remember that the EFCC Chairman was talking about the investigation, he is saying it and he’s happy, he didn’t know the kind of pressure I was under at the time, I remembered talking to pastor Sarah, Poju at the time saying what did I do? I have not done anything, why are these people after me?

“I wake up and while I’m driving to NSPPD in the morning, I’m saying you did me wrong, I’m crying and saying Jesus- I prayed for you, I put your name (Olukayode) on the altar.

“The interesting thing is that when he came and he said we looked through your books and didn’t find anything wrong. I am grateful to God.”

Continue Reading

Trending