Connect with us

NEWS

Davido rules out APC support, says he has no preferred candidate for 2027 presidential election

Published

on

Afrobeats star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has declared that he currently has no preferred presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections and has firmly ruled out any alignment with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

Speaking in an interview on Tuesday, the music icon addressed questions about his political involvement ahead of the next presidential contest. He clarified that his personal political convictions remain independent of those of his uncle, Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, who has declared support for President Bola Tinubu.

“My uncle, immediately he won, came out to declare his support for Tinubu, but for me, I’m not propelled to support anybody. I personally haven’t seen anybody,” Davido stated.

Recalling his past political engagements, the artiste noted that he had previously backed opposition figures and cross-party causes. “In the past, yes, I’ve supported Atiku before when we were in PDP, and I supported in 2015 when APC first did the merger; my late uncle Isiaka Adeleke (Serubawon) was part of the APC, I campaigned then,” he said.

Davido, however, emphasised that his position ahead of 2027 remains completely open — with one clear exception. “Right now I don’t have a presidential candidate. It might change, but it’s not going to be APC. Everybody should have their choice,” he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

BREAKING: US court gives attorney, Pirro ultimatum to release ‘Tinubu drug-trafficking records’

Published

on

By

U.S. District Judge Beryl A. Howell has given Donald Trump-appointed U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro four additional days to produce records related to alleged drug-trafficking activities involving Nigerian President Bola Tinubu.

The order was disclosed Tuesday by Dr. Von Batten-Montague-York in a post on X. Judge Howell noted that the underlying case has been pending for more than three years.

Pirro had reportedly sought a 10-day extension to comply with a court order requiring the release of materials held by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and the Drug Enforcement Administration. Howell granted only four days, setting a firm deadline of August 21, 2026.

Von Batten-Montague-York described the ruling as a sign of renewed urgency from Pirro and the Justice Department. “We deeply appreciate U.S. Attorney Pirro and the DOJ’s renewed motivation to release these documents, and we agree with Judge Howell. This case has been pending for three years. The time to release the Tinubu drug-trafficking files is now,” he wrote.

He added that strategic interests between the United States and Nigeria should not block disclosure. “As President Trump has indicated, our shared interests with Nigeria do not mean supporting an alleged drug trafficker.”

The records at issue have not been publicly released, and neither the Justice Department nor Pirro’s office has issued an official statement on the latest extension.

Continue Reading

NEWS

EFCC freezes Osun government account 10 days to election

Published

on

By

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has frozen an Osun State Government account domiciled with First Bank, ten days to governorship election, according to documents seen by newsmen.

The account, reportedly used for the payment of workers’ salaries, was placed on “Post No Debit” status by the anti-graft agency.

The development came hours after Governor Ademola Adeleke alleged that the EFCC was planning to freeze the state’s accounts and those of top government officials.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, the governor described the reported move as an attempt to cripple government activities ahead of the August 15 governorship election.

Adeleke maintained that there was no legal basis for freezing the accounts of the state government, arguing that the EFCC lacked the statutory powers to take such action.

A source close to the governor, who requested anonymity because they were not authorised to speak publicly, confirmed to Vanguard that the account had already been frozen.

“I can confirm that the state government account has been frozen by the EFCC. It is no longer an allegation. The governor will address the press shortly to update the public on the situation,” the source said.

As of the time of filing this report, the EFCC had not issued an official statement on the development. The reason for the account restriction was also not immediately known.

Continue Reading

NEWS

PFN President Vows to Resist Proposed Ban on Preaching in Commercial Buses

Published

on

By

The President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria (PFN), Bishop Wale Oke, has criticised the proposed legislation seeking to prohibit preaching and unsolicited religious activities in commercial buses, declaring that Christians would continue to evangelise despite the measure.

Oke, who spoke during a church sermon on Sunday, vowed that members of the PFN would resist any attempt to enforce the proposed law, insisting that preaching the gospel remained a divine mandate that could not be overridden by legislation.

The cleric said Christians would continue to preach in buses and other public places, citing the biblical instruction to spread the gospel across the world.

“Make all the stadiums in Nigeria become prisons; if you want to enforce that law, we are coming. We will break that law. Our Master told us to go into the world and preach the gospel to every creature,” Oke said.

“You sit somewhere there, and you are saying we shouldn’t preach in buses. We will preach in buses! We will preach everywhere! Because you are making evil decrees. We will rather obey God than man.”

The PFN president accused lawmakers of prioritising restrictions on religious preaching while failing to adequately address insecurity and violent crimes across the country.

According to him, government authorities should focus on tackling killings, kidnappings, banditry, rape and other criminal activities rather than targeting people preaching what he described as a message of peace and transformation.

“You don’t go after killers; you are not going after those beheading; you are not going after rapists; you are not going after kidnappers. You are not going after bandits who are unlawfully carrying arms,” he said.

“You are going after us who are preaching the message of peace that changes people’s lives. We wouldn’t listen to you. You are not God.”

Oke also issued a strong warning to those promoting the proposed legislation, insisting that the PFN would oppose any attempt to restrict gospel preaching.

His comments come amid growing reactions from Christian leaders over provisions relating to preaching and hawking in commercial vehicles.

The Senate had earlier clarified that the restriction on preaching and hawking inside commercial vehicles was not a new provision introduced under the ongoing amendment to the Federal Road Safety Commission Establishment Act.

The clarification followed public criticism after reports emerged that the Senate passed the Federal Road Safety Corps (Amendment) Bill, 2026, which provides for a N50,000 fine for anyone convicted of hawking, trading or preaching inside a commercial vehicle.

In a statement issued by the Directorate of Media and Public Affairs in the Office of the Senate Leader, Opeyemi Bamidele, the Senate said the controversial provisions had existed in Nigerian law since 2007 and were already contained in the existing FRSC Act and the National Road Traffic Regulations.

“The Senate has duly noticed public concerns on the purported proscription of preaching and hawking in a commercial vehicle under the ongoing amendment to the Federal Road Safety Commission (Establishment) Act, No. 22, 2007,” the statement said.

Meanwhile, several prominent Christian clerics have also expressed concerns over the proposed restriction.

The founder of Dunamis International Gospel Centre, Dr Paul Enenche, has maintained that evangelism is a core Christian obligation and warned against policies that could restrict peaceful gospel preaching in public places.

Similarly, the Presiding Bishop of Living Faith Church Worldwide, Bishop David Oyedepo, has repeatedly described evangelism as central to the Christian faith and urged believers to remain committed to soul-winning despite perceived opposition.

The General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Pastor Enoch Adeboye, has also consistently encouraged Christians to share their faith peacefully and in line with biblical teachings.

Continue Reading

Trending