Connect with us

NEWS

INEC de-lists David Mark-led ADC NWC

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission has resolved to remove the names of the National Working Committee of the African Democratic Congress led by David Mark from its official portal, in compliance with a Court of Appeal order.

INEC disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday, stressing that it would maintain the status quo ante bellum pending the determination of a substantive suit before the Federal High Court in Abuja.

The decision follows a protracted leadership crisis within the ADC, with rival factions led by Nafiu Bala Gombe and Mark laying claim to the party’s national structure.

According to the commission, the appellate court, in a judgment delivered on March 12, 2026, directed all parties to maintain the existing situation before the dispute arose and refrain from actions that could prejudice the outcome of the case.

“That the Commission would, in accordance with the Order of the Court of Appeal in Appeal No. CA/ABJ/145/2026 refrain from taking any step or doing any act capable of foisting a fait accompli on the court or otherwise rendering nugatory the proceedings before the trial court, having regard to all the processes filed before the trial Court,”the statement read.

INEC explained that although the names of the current NWC members were uploaded on its portal on September 9, 2025, the action was taken after the suit had already been filed on September 2, 2025.

It noted that, in line with the court order, the names would now be removed pending the resolution of the matter.

“Since the names of the current National Working Committee members led by Senator David Mark were uploaded on 9th September, 2025 by INEC (7 days after the suit was instituted), the names would be removed from the INEC portal pursuant to the order of the Court of Appeal to maintain the status quo ante bellum until the matter is decided by the trial court,” INEC said.

The commission also rejected a request by Bala’s camp to recognise him as acting national chairman, stating that granting such a request would violate the court’s directive.

INEC further announced that it would suspend all engagements with the party’s factions, including monitoring of meetings, congresses, or conventions, until the court delivers a final ruling.

“The Commission shall not receive any further communication or deal with any of the parties or groups pertaining to the affairs of the party,” it added.

The electoral body reiterated its commitment to neutrality and strict adherence to judicial pronouncements, urging political actors to avoid actions capable of disrupting preparations for the 2027 general elections.

The leadership tussle in the ADC has triggered a series of legal battles, with both factions approaching the courts to assert control over the party’s structure

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

NEWS

We’re Intentional In Introducing Leadership Led By Women, Youths – John Okiyi Kalu

Published

on

By

A frontline aspirant for the Abia State People’s Democratic Party (PDP) 2027 governorship primary election, Chief John Okiyi-Kalu has hailed the party as the only party in Nigeria that is now intentional in introducing a leadership model where women and youths are accommodated.

Kalu, who was speaking during a radio programme at Magic 102.9 FM, which was monitored by this site, said that in addition to having very qualified aspirants for the governorship position, the PDP in Aba has taken the lead in women and youths being given opportunities.

He said that in the past, he often heard about what PDP did and did not do, but the people who played huge roles in that era are currently with the ruling party.

Kalu said that the era when women in Abia State and Abia State women were relegated to nothing is gone, stressing that the PDP will correct the gender inequality in the Abia State House of Assembly.

“We’re the first party that has positioned women in a way that they’ll be part of leadership. We have women with high-class qualifications that we’re presenting in various positions.

“In Aba Central we have Anastasia Odochi Uchenna, a well-recognised broadcaster in this city. We also have Graceline Okoh in Ohafia North. A well-recognised human resource person.

“They’re not just women; they’re very much qualified, just like their male counterparts, if not better than them. They’re equally young.

“So, we can comfortably say that we’re giving opportunities to women and youths to be part of leadership. I’ve also seen another lady’s name in Isuikwuato and Umunneochi.”

Kalu said that for a nation like Nigeria and a state like Abia that are in serious need of innovations and leaders with empathy, relegating the youths and women is tantamount to underdevelopment.

He stressed that he decided to join the race because he sees Abia State as a work in progress that needs the contributions of the best brains that know much about the foundation of the state and where to build from.

Kalu said that as commissioner that served in two ministries, the Ministry of Information and the Ministry of Trade and Investment, he distinguished himself with remarkable records that can be seen in Ariaria International Market and other notable places.

 

Continue Reading

NEWS

Anambra Introduces New Burial Law, Bans Cows And Goats As Condolence Gifts.

Published

on

By

The Anambra State Government has introduced a new burial law banning midweek burials and the presentation of cows, goats and other expensive items as condolence gifts.

The law, enacted by the Anambra State House of Assembly, was made public this Monday as part of efforts to regulate burial and funeral activities across the state.

According to the law, all burial ceremonies are now restricted to Saturdays, while wake-keep ceremonies and the display of banners, posters and billboards of deceased persons have also been prohibited.

The government says the new regulations are aimed at reducing extravagant spending, easing financial pressure on bereaved families and improving economic productivity in the state.

The law also provides penalties for violators, including fines and imprisonment, while monitoring committees will be established in communities to ensure compliance.

Continue Reading

NEWS

I withdrew, never participated in APC primary, says Cubana Chief Priest

Published

on

By

Celebrity businessman Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has denied taking part in the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election for the Orsu/Orlu/Oru East Federal Constituency seat.

In a series of Instagram story posts on Sunday, Okechukwu stated that he voluntarily withdrew from the race after Governor Hope Uzodimma briefed him on the party’s zoning position.

According to Okechukwu, the governor explained that Orlu Local Government Area should complete at least two terms before the seat rotates to another area. He noted that his elder brother, Asiwaju Jerry Alagboso, had previously represented the constituency for three terms.

“He made the argument that it was not the turn of my Local Government Area to occupy the seat at this time,” Okechukwu wrote.

The businessman, who described himself as “a loyal party man and committed progressive,” said his decision to step down was made in full respect for the party’s leadership and internal arrangements. He added that the party’s position was communicated to him in the early hours of Saturday, before the primary took place, prompting him to stay away entirely.

“I chose not to proceed to the field, and indeed, I never did. Nobody will say they saw me anywhere around the primaries venue. In fact I did not participate. As I headed straight back to Lagos,” he stated.

Okechukwu’s latest position contradicts an earlier video that surfaced after the primary, in which he expressed regret over “trusting the elders in the community” and claimed that only 14 people voted for him.

He was seeking the APC ticket ahead of the 2027 general elections but lost to the incumbent lawmaker, Canice Nwachukwu.

The socialite explained that his initial aspiration stemmed from concerns about the performance of the current representative. “My decision and resolve to aspire for the office was born out of my conviction that the current holder of the office was not living up to the expectations and aspirations of our people,” he said.

Okechukwu dismissed widespread social media commentary on the matter as “coordinated mischief” and “laughable” attempts to use his name for online propaganda. He firmly denied owing any financial debts to supporters, stressing that the aspiration was entirely his personal conviction.

“I am not indebted to anybody over my aspiration,” he declared, adding that he had “absolutely no regret whatsoever in raising the political stakes and consciousness” in the constituency.

His reported defeat had earlier attracted attention, including a public message of encouragement from Seyi Tinubu, son of President Bola Tinubu, who posted on Instagram: “Bro, sometimes by losing a battle, you find a new way to win the war.”

In his closing remarks, Okechukwu reaffirmed his commitment to the APC and pledged to continue mobilising support for President Tinubu’s re-election in 2027 through his City Boy Movement.

“The APC remains my party, today and always. I remain loyal and committed to the ideals and leadership of our great party,” he wrote.

Continue Reading

Trending